Know the new regulation for recreational fishers for sea bass
No more than one sea bass may be retained per person, per day for all recreatio nal fisherman.
A new suite of European regulations came into force during 2015/16 following concerns over the sustainability of bass stocks. These included:
- A new minimum size of 42cm overall length for all commercial and recreational fishermen.
- 1st January to 30th June (inclusive) mandatory catch and release of all seabass taken by recreational fishermen.
- 1st July to 31st December 2016 (inclusive) a one fish bag limit for all recreational fishermen.
A separate range of bass management measures have also been implemented for commercial fishermen dependent on the fishing method:
- 1st January to 30th January 2016 (inclusive) 1% permitted by-catch
- 1st July to 31st December (inclusive) maximum take of 1 tonne per month.
- 1st February to 31st March 2016 (inclusive) fishery closed
- January, April, May, June to December 2016 maximum take 1.3 tonnes per month
For more information:
Tel: (01482) 393515